Update on my Tumblr Theme
So, it’s been about a month since I’ve touched this bad boy. Making pretty good progress. The reason for delay was that I discovered a weird bug on touchscreen laptops. Depending on how a jquery plugin is built, browsers detect a touchscreen laptop as a touch only device, so mouse interactions (hover/click) won’t work. This was the case for an important UI feature I had built into my Tumblr theme: tooltips.
I was using the Tooltipster plugin for displaying post-menu options for each blog entry. Unfortunately, the way the plugin was built, it detected ALL touchscreen devices as just touchscreen, including desktop computers. So, a confused user on their laptop wouldn’t immediately know that they would have to tap their screen to activate the tooltip as opposed to simply clicking their mouse. Thus, bad UX/UI.
Granted, this right now, is a bit of an edge case, but this problem will not go away, and only get bigger. Better to future proof now, because touchscreen desktops/laptops are only going grow in usage. So I decided to do some basic jquery (a few lines) and use the .fadeToggle() function. Click the button, the container immediately next to it in markup appears (using the .next() selector).
Anyway, these screenshots are just showing I’m making some good progress on the responsive part. Though I have been considering changing up the design of the dropdown menu, and looking at using flaunt.js.
And so it continues.